Sunday, October 2, 2011

THE LONG WAIT IS FINALLY OVER

and as a special treat I have a double review for you guys, to my followers I realize it has been almost a full year since my last review but now I’m back and most enthusiastic then ever. To any new comers welcome and enjoy. I have prepared 2 reviews to jump-start the donair season so lets begin.

Review #1 ALEXANDRA’S

The first review I have is for Alexandra’s pizza, after many requests, mostly by the same person (you know who you are) to try their donairs I caved and gave it a try. I went with their classic donair with the works and cheese, now normally I’m not a big lover of cheese on donairs, mostly cause I think it takes away from the spices on the donair meat, but I figured I would try it. I was happy to find that they didn’t over do it on the cheese it was a excellent amount, so much so that I decided to get my next donair with cheese as well (see review #2) One thing that I have to say is that their veggies and meat were surprisingly fresh, I assumed that because Alexandra’s is more of a “chain” then the other places I have reviewed, that the freshness of their veggies would suffer but they were top notch, and plentiful.

One of my favorite part of any donair is defiantly the pita, now although there are several parts that compete for best part of the experience, I believe that it starts and ends with the pita. In saying that, I thoroughly… no tremendously enjoyed the pita on the Alexandra’s donair, it was crispy where you want it but soft and greasy where you need it. My only criticism would be the actual size of the pita itself, but that could defiantly because I’m bias on the pita side of things and can never get enough, but who knows ;)


Review #2 Leo’s Pizzeria

The second donair review I have for you comes from Leo’s Pizzeria in Waverly. Before going into Leo’s I knew to expect some things, things that you can expect from any small pizza shop

1) They would already have a great donair and delicious pizza (but this isn’t a pizza blog…stay tuned)

2) They would treat you like family as soon as you walk in, which was the case; UNBELIEVABLE service, some of the best I’ve experienced anywhere.

3) And they would have a tv on somewhere in the shop, so you could watch the last 10 mins of storage hunters while you wait for your meal.



The one thing I must say that I didn’t expect would be the selection of donair related meals: Donair pizza, donair pocket, donair platter and a donair SUPER platter (must investigate later), donair egg rolls, donair pogos, and varying sizes of classic donairs. You may be thinking “a lot pizza shops have these things” and your right but I haven’t been to many places where they offer all of them. So if your not sure what your in the mood for but you know it needs to contain donair meat try Leo’s.

Now all of that is great but lets get to the meat and potatoes of this review…or I guess you can say meat and pita of this review…Honestly there is nothing bad to say about Leo’s, if nothing else the above items are enough to have me going back for more. As for their donairs, they are top shelve and “streets ahead” (your welcome). Above all else best thing I can say about the donair itself is the actual size, its always a good thing when you pay next to nothing and you walk out of there with a donair the size of an official NFL football. And like I mentioned in review #1 I did get cheese on this one as well, I don’t see it being a trend where its defiantly an extra and not a donair staple as some people would have you believe.


But that’s all I have for now but keep sending me your suggestions and ideas of new places to try throughout HRM.
Find me on facebook, twitter and Google+, @ devinlockyer




P.S I have rumors of donair ice cream somewhere in Halifax, which defiantly needs to happen. And if there are any other donair related foods that you’ve heard of outside of the usual, make sure to share the wealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment